Big Joe several questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Joe several questions

I have had my Big Joe for a good 8 months or so. Today was the first day I wanted to attempt a cook under 275. I was able to maintain the temp, but when I opened up it looked as if my lump wasn't lite, is this normal? I decided to open it up because the coals looked like they weren't lite and that's when all he'll broke loose. I had 2 chunks of applewood that as soon as they caught fire my grill went up to 900 and the flame was 2 feet past my grate. Are wood chunks only to be used in under 300 temps? If no how do I avoid the massive flame from the wood? Thanks guys.

I THINK you didn't give the grill enough time to warm-up. It wasn't fully lit and your vents are too far open. The fire finally took off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jdecapua23 View Post
      I have had my Big Joe for a good 8 months or so. Today was the first day I wanted to attempt a cook under 275. I was able to maintain the temp, but when I opened up it looked as if my lump wasn't lite, is this normal? I decided to open it up because the coals looked like they weren't lite and that's when all he'll broke loose.
      so... the obvious mistake was openinng the grill. If the temp was holding steady @ 275°, there was no reason to 'open it up'. More oxygen equals hotter and bigger fire. Hotter, bigger fire equals higher temps and you were already at your temp. so... as they say, "If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'... lol

Comment

Yeah, you shouldn't have opened that up. Your vents were too wide. I also use a BBQ Guru blower to do my L&S cooks. Stable temps for days using that thing. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoothbassman View Post
          Yeah, you shouldn't have opened that up. Your vents were too wide. I also use a BBQ Guru blower to do my L&S cooks. Stable temps for days using that thing. I love it.
          And I am glad it's working for you. But, it needs to be said that a great many Kamado users– including myself– enjoy stable temps without the use of blowers...

Comment

Originally posted by Kamado Al View Post

so... the obvious mistake was openinng the grill. If the temp was holding steady @ 275°, there was no reason to 'open it up'. More oxygen equals hotter and bigger fire. Hotter, bigger fire equals higher temps and you were already at your temp. so... as they say, "If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'... lol
            I opened it to put the food on. Should I put the food on earlier?

Comment

When doing low and slow cooks, I like to get the grill up to temp and let it run for 45 min to an hour, to get good and heat soaked and the temps stabilized. Once you have the temps stabilized you shouldn't need to change the vents much at all. Open the grill and add your meat, close it back up and don't touch anything for at least half an hour, the temps should go back to what you had before opening the grill. The Big Joe will hold temps very stable for many hours. I also have an BBQ Guru WiFi temp controller but I only use it for long overnight cooks, just because it lets me sleep with peace of mind.
              Earl

Comment

Originally posted by Jdecapua23 View Post

I opened it to put the food on. Should I put the food on earlier?
                Sorry, missed this. I'm a little confused. You originally stated that you opened it because it didn't appear to be lit. Anyway, good advice has already been given, though, I do not allow mine to heat quite that long. In the winter, I may go a little longer). Just keep in mind- the longer the lid stays opened the more the temps will spike. In my experience this will happen even faster at 275° and higher. The rush of oxygen is going to ignite more and more lump. So, when i open the lid, I am efficient with time managment almost like a Nascar pit stop. Open, meat on, close, clear... lol

Comment

Working...
                X