Flare ups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flare ups

Ribs at 275 for 4 hours, maybe I had too many coals and my KJ deflector covered in drippings burst into flames.  Barely able to rescue the ribs!  Didn't use a drip pan because I didn't want to have to worry about refilling it since last time the drip pan burned up!  
Thought the three racks of ribs were too long for the Joe so I cut them in half, but then they were too short for my new rib rack!!
Learn from my mistakes please!
    KatKamadolover

I smoked three racks of ribs at 275. I had too many coals though, and so the drippings on my KJ heat deflector burst into flames. Managed to save the ribs. Didn't use a drip pan because I didn't want to have to keep refilling the pan with liquid, since last cook the drip pan burned up! Learn from my mistakes please!
    How do I cook low and slow without a drip pan? Just don't?
    KatKamadolover

Comment

I use a drip pan with a layer of sand in the bottom. This stops the flare ups and doesn't need to be refiled, also doesn't effect the flavor.
      Earl

Comment

Once in a while run the joe at 500 or so to clean it out, and put the deflector on top on the grate to burn the fat/oil out of it. It soaks in after a few cooks and comes back out when heated. It smokes real nasty.

Comment

Working...
        X