3-2-1 Ribs!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-2-1 Ribs!

Yesterday was my first attempt at ribs on my new Kamado Joe. With advice from my buddy who owns a BGE, I decided to use the 3-2-1 method. I used spare ribs with a store bought bbq rub and our readily available Sweet Baby Ray's bbq sauce for the glaze. 2 chunks of hickory for smoke and KJ lump charcoal. Overall I am quite happy for my first rib cook. Temps held amazingly well at 220-225 for the full 6 hours. Apart from having some ealry troubles with getting the charcoal fully lit, I had a stress free cook as far as the grill was concerned. After the 2 hours in foil, however, my bones were practically falling out of the back of the meat. I had to carefully remove them and gingerly place them back on the grill for the last hour. Taking them off after required 2 spatulas and my girlfriend on the ready with a sheet pan, but they came off without falling apart! I think I either ended up with baby back ribs and they cooked too long or just not a good slab of spares to begin with. Anyone have any advice for my next go around to prevent the meat from falling off so easily? Thanks in advance! Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I quit using any wrapping method when doing my ribs. I have found they really don't need it with the KJ. I prefer BB so I don't usually do any regular ribs. I just put mine on at 225°-250° and leave them alone. After about 4 hrs I start checking for being done, I use the bend test and not a specific temp. When they are almost done, I will add some BBQ sauce and let it caramelize but lately I have just left them until done and let anyone that wants it add sauce later. With the good rubs I use I have found I just prefer them that way.
    Last edited by retfr8flyr; 04-11-2017, 01:38 AM.
    Earl

Comment

Those are spares, fairly trimmed, almost to St Louis cut. Try not wrapping. You'll save time.

Comment

Those look really good. The same thing happens to my ribs. That's interesting advice, I've always wrapped after 3 hours. I'm going to try not wrapping next time.

Comment

Originally posted by retfr8flyr View Post
          I quit using any wrapping method when doing my ribs. I have found they really don't need it with the KJ. I prefer BB so I don't usually do any regular ribs. I just put mine on at 225°-250° and leave them alone. After about 4 hrs I start checking for being done, I use the bend test and not a specific temp. When they are almost done, I will add some BBQ sauce and let it caramelize but lately I have just left them until done and let anyone that wants it add sauce later. With the good rubs I use I have found I just prefer them that way.

Are you spraying your ribs during those 4 hours? I've been curious to not foil them and do the same cooking method that you are using.

Comment

Originally posted by Powers30 View Post

Are you spraying your ribs during those 4 hours? I've been curious to not foil them and do the same cooking method that you are using.
            No, I put them on and don't open the top until it's about time for them to be finished. There is plenty of moisture in the BJ and I don't think the ribs need extra spritzing. I am more of a dry rib person, as I never really slathered sauce on mine anyway. Here is a pic of the last set of ribs I did. These never had any sauce added, just the rub and natural juices.

Earl

Comment

Working...
            X