Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some photos of our new Top Vent and Hinge (classic and Big)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rwhinton View Post
    There are lots of posts on KG and here about people building stands for the Jr., which makes me think that lots of folks, like me, are keeping it in one place, despite KJ marketing it as a portable unit.
    The Jr. is a perfect size for me wife and I. As Mac1576 asked, why not upgrade the top vent? There is no KJ dealer within 100 miles of me, so I won't be shopping at a dealer who's burdened with unwanted accessories. Why not work on an improved top vent and let me buy it online or from KJ HQ?
    With the exception of some apparel, KJ HQ does not sell direct to consumers. They don't want to compete with their dealers. It's actually pretty simple, if the demand was there, they would probably market them. As far as for cooking in rain, barring a monsoon, the regular top vent performs well in rain. Before I built my BBQ pitt, I cooked dozens (probably 100+) cooks in pouring rain under no cover with my original BGE's and later my KJ's, all with the standard top vents. As far as the covers, there are many aftermarket options out there, some which are probably better quality than the ones KJ markets for their Classic's and BigJOE's.

Comment

I bought my KJ just a few months ago from Costco and absolutely LOVE IT!!! I like the looks of the new vent. Also, what's the purpose of the new hinge?

Comment

Originally posted by andyscalzo View Post

I'm pretty sure that the new hinge will not retrofit previous Kamado Joe models. The top vents will.
        What was the point of the new hing if it does not fix the problem people were having with the old hinge?
        Two KJ Big Joe's (One Big Joe was not enough) -1x Red Big Joe - 1 x Black Big Joe - Red Thermapen - CyberQ Wifi - Baking Steel - SpitJack Injector -Griddle Q - Maverick PT 732

Comment

From what I have seen, and been told, the hing issue is not that widespread. I personally know dozens of people with BigJOE's who have never had a hinge issue. When you consider the thousands of them out in the marketplace, you're bound to have an issue with some, but I don't think it is a widespread problem. I'm not 100% positive on the retro fit thing.

Comment

By the looks in this photo they also added a latch in the front but other than that the ceramic base and dome look the same
            Click image for larger version

Name:	New Hindge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	39261
            Palmdale Ca.
            Red Classic Joe -
            Black Big Joe - Red Jr Joe

Comment

Found this too
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Hindge 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	39265
              Palmdale Ca.
              Red Classic Joe -

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Owen View Post

What was the point of the new hing if it does not fix the problem people were having with the old hinge?
                Steven, look at the bottom right photo in the above post. Notice that the new hinge attaches at 12 points (6 on each side) as opposed to the current 8 points. That's why the new hinges will not retrofit on the old Joes.

Comment

Really "Jones in" for the top vent. Really believing it will help with temp control.

Comment

Originally posted by andyscalzo View Post

Steven, look at the bottom right photo in the above post. Notice that the new hinge attaches at 12 points (6 on each side) as opposed to the current 8 points. That's why the new hinges will not retrofit on the old Joes.
                    Andy. I honestly think KJ should release a 2nd version of this hinge for owners of the exisiting Big Joe's. This was a serious safety issues rather than a minor upgrade.

I'll be extemely disappointed if KJ fails to offer a counterbalanced hinge to existing KJ owners.
                    Two KJ Big Joe's (One Big Joe was not enough) -1x Red Big Joe - 1 x Black Big Joe - Red Thermapen - CyberQ Wifi - Baking Steel - SpitJack Injector -Griddle Q - Maverick PT 732

Comment

The whole purpose of the redesign was to help existing customers with existing models. The change to the hinge design was supposed to fix the hinge for current owners.

The current hinge has no redundancy. If the counterbalance mechanism fails on the 2012 - 2016 Big Joe's there's nothing that can be done to stop the lid from coming down.

Rather than jumping to conclusions. Is KJ going to do anything to help current owners who are concerned about a fatal design flaw existing KJ hinge that has the potential for a catastrophic failure?

Comment

The ceramics didnt change so Im assuming that for the upgrade you will need the complete hinge assembly which would include new bands as well
                        Last edited by JaxxQ; 10-25-2016, 03:39 PM.
                        Palmdale Ca.
                        Red Classic Joe -

Comment

Originally posted by JaxxQ View Post
                          The ceramics didnt change so Im assuming that for the upgrade you will need the complete hinge assembly which would include new bands as well
                          I would think so too. Are four bolts in the back only attached to the bands or do those bolts screw into an embedded rivet connector in the dome and base?

I've never tried to remove the bands Jaxx so I honesty don't know.
                          Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=Steven Owen;n39280]The whole purpose of the redesign was to help existing customers with existing models. the hinge for current owners.
                            QUOTE]

That was not the "whole purpose" of the redesign Steven. Bobby Brennan has been working on a counterbalanced hinge since the early days of his company, long before the BigJOE even existed. He has a system for the ProJOE, but the goal has always been to reduce the cost of producing a counterbalanced hinge. They are very costly. . This BigJOE hinge problem is not really that widespread. Only a small percentage of units have had problems. If anyone has issues, the company has, and will work with them. I have cooked on dozens of BigJOE doing demos and have many friends who own them, and have never seen as much as one hinge issue with any of them. I can assure you, It is not the catastrophic problem you are posting about. Any other concerns you have about this will have to addressed through customer service.

Comment

Andy,

Looking at pics from post about recent hinge changes. The bolts appear to be part of the bands. You should be able to replace the bands and the hinge on older Joe's.

Andy, I don't think there's a panic or the Big Joe hinge is going to suddenly give way. I've cooked 1200 meals on my Red Big Joe over 4-years. Nothing last forever. I'm not concerned about the KJ hinge suddenly failing. I'm more concerned about a part failure causing the lid to come crashing down 5-6 years from now as my hinge starts to wear down from regular use.

I also hate having to change my gaskets ever 2 - 2 1/2 years. I would prefer to have the new system.

I'm completely puzzled. If you replace the bands and the hinge, there's no reason why the new hinge would not fit perfectly on the older models?

Let me be clear. Within reason, I am will to pay for the new hinges for my exisitng Joe's. I'd glad change the bands to have the new hinge. I will modify my tables to accommodate the new hinge system.

The bolts are part of the band. Why wouldn't you just change the whole thing out including the bands?

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/128...e-replacement/
                              Last edited by Steven Owen; 10-25-2016, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Can't wait to be able to buy this new vent for my KJ. Looks pretty innovative and kick ass!

Comment

Working...
                                X