Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some photos of our new Top Vent and Hinge (classic and Big)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steven Owen View Post

I would think so too. Are four bolts in the back only attached to the bands or do those bolts screw into an embedded rivet connector in the dome and base?

I've never tried to remove the bands Jaxx so I honesty don't know.

The bolts are likely just a flush fit in the band and not in the ceramic. I seen a couple cases on an Egg where the back of the bolt rusted causing the acorn nut and the rest of the bolt to fall away. An easy, but a minor pain in the butt fix since you have to completely remove the band to get the new bolt into the band.

KJ may be different and have some bolts embedded in the ceramic but I would be surprised if they do. Different rates of expansion/contraction between the metal bands and ceramic might prove problematic.

I also agree that it doesn't appear from the picture Andy references that one couldn't refit the new hinge AND bands on an older KJ unless KJ is also making mods to the ceramics and essentially creating an entirely different new Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyG View Post

The bolts are likely just a flush fit in the band and not in the ceramic. I seen a couple cases on an Egg where the back of the bolt rusted causing the acorn nut and the rest of the bolt to fall away. An easy, but a minor pain in the butt fix since you have to completely remove the band to get the new bolt into the band.

KJ may be different and have some bolts embedded in the ceramic but I would be surprised if they do. Different rates of expansion/contraction between the metal bands and ceramic might prove problematic.

I also agree that it doesn't appear from the picture Andy references that one couldn't refit the new hinge AND bands on an older KJ unless KJ is also making mods to the ceramics and essentially creating an entirely different new Joe.
      On the back side of the band the hole is counter sunk. The bolt has a phillips head and the shoulder is tapered to fit in the band and it is nearly flush with the back of the band.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Owen View Post
        Andy,

Looking at pics from post about recent hinge changes. The bolts appear to be part of the bands. You should be able to replace the bands and the hinge on older Joe's.

The bolts are part of the band. Why wouldn't you just change the whole thing out including the bands?

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/128...e-replacement/
        ​Kamado Joe had to slightly modify both the dome and the base to accommodate the new bands. The new bands will not retrofit the older Joes. To my knowledge, this is the first modification that KJ has done to the base and dome since the development of both the Classic and BigJOE.

Comment

Originally posted by andyscalzo View Post

​Kamado Joe had to slightly modify both the dome and the base to accommodate the new bands. The new bands will not retrofit the older Joes. To my knowledge, this is the first modification that KJ has done to the base and dome since the development of both the Classic and BigJOE.
          This is very disappointing news
          Palmdale Ca.
          Red Classic Joe -
          Black Big Joe - Red Jr Joe

Comment

That's too bad but sometimes inevitable during product development and evolution. But this doesn't make the current Joes less good!

Comment

Originally posted by JaxxQ View Post

This is very disappointing news
              ​It was bound to happen sooner or later Jaxx. I find it amazing that KJ got to ride 8 years on their original Classic. The changes will be very minor. This takes place all the time with other products. How many products can you upgrade to utilize new features or upgrades? I previously owned 3 Large BGE's which were purchased within 5 years of each other. All three had changes in their bases and/or domes. Changes are inevitable. Like the poster above stated, it doesn't make the current Joes less good. I haven't seen any dollar numbers, but I am assuming the new units with the upgrades will have a significate raise in the MSRP. That being said, there will be a good market for the existing Joes out there in the world of retail.

Comment

"the poster above"... cute.

Comment

Howdy guys and gals from Texas!!! YeeHaw. This may be redundant, but I see this question posted with no real answer other than the post from KJBobby stating summer of 2017. Is the new counterbalance available yet or not on the CJ? Also is this new CB and vent going to be standard on all new CJ's & BJ's or is this going to be an optional accessory? Debating on buying now or waiting with the understanding ain't nothing free so figure these new features come at a cost. Has anyone seen these new features at a recent roadshow? Sometimes they will want to sell out the existing stock before bringing out the new.

I just started looking at the KJ and the bug is hitting me hard. Went and saw one at a roadshow during Xmas while visiting family and it is definitely calling my name and best yet the DW is encouraging the purchase. So the only thing holding me back is well, ME. Just saw another roadshow scheduled in January even closer than the one I attended in the Houston area.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
                  Last edited by OpenRange; 01-01-2017, 01:35 PM.

Comment

So with this new counter balance system and latch how does the Joetisserie work?

Comment

I like the idea of marks on the top vent, however, I think Kamado Joe can take it one (big) step further and put maybe numbers on it? Numbers help grillers/smokers like me record more accurate notes to that we can further perfect our cooking of certain meats. My two cents. Looking to get my first Big Joe when the new version hits.

Comment

I saw this post on Facebook, KJ will make a new Air Lift hinge retrofitable for the Big Joe. Whoo hoo, thank you Bobby
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	40256
                        Palmdale Ca.
                        Red Classic Joe -
                        Black Big Joe - Red Jr Joe

Comment

I can't wait to get my hands on one to retrofit my old Big Joe. Looking forward to me doing a video on it too.

Comment

Hi All, Matt Harris here from Sydney Australia. I had the pleasure of being one of the first Kamado users to see this new model that Bobby brought over here. I'm a long time Kamado Joe user and have to say that these improvements are a game changer to the Kamado market.

Comment

Working...
                            X