How do these hold up against rust?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do these hold up against rust?

I live up north in one of the rust-belt states. Buying one of these grills would be a major investment for us, but my wife said that I could get one when I retire next year. I could justify spending the money if it was a grill that would last us a long time though. Every grill that I've ever owned has eventually rusted up, including my present stainless steel grill (some of it wasn't SS and rusted away). Even though I have covered my grills but the moisture always seems to get in anyway. So, what about these Kamado Joes, do they rust? And if they do have components that rust, are they parts that are replaceable for a reasonable amount of money? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me... I appreciate it.

In other words I guess I am asking if this Kamado Big Joe is a "forever grill" possibility :-)

Comment

I would suggest physically checking one out to observe the fit and finish for yourself. That's something only you can assure yourself of. Personally, I wouldn't expect it to rust. What isn't stainless is painted in a nice coat of black rust resistant paint. I guess i live in the rust belt also and my 1yr old BJ survived the winter- mostly uncovered and I can't tell any difference in the outer surface from the first day I bought it. There nothing I can see that I'd expect to rust.

Full disclosure- not much snow this year- global cooling and all...

Comment

Down by the wheels, on the stand, I have some very minor surface rust, not significant at all. Same with a couple of bolts, replaceable. Daisy when on top had some rust as some of the paint came off, not terrible. My joe is 5 years old, usually covered but does see weather.
        it's as close to rust free as anything metal, outside, is going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamado Al View Post
          I would suggest physically checking one out to observe the fit and finish for yourself. That's something only you can assure yourself of. Personally, I wouldn't expect it to rust. What isn't stainless is painted in a nice coat of black rust resistant paint. I guess i live in the rust belt also and my 1yr old BJ survived the winter- mostly uncovered and I can't tell any difference in the outer surface from the first day I bought it. There nothing I can see that I'd expect to rust.

Full disclosure- not much snow this year- global cooling and all...

Thanks, that was good advice. Today I checked one out for the first time. We have a few dealers in the city where we live. The guy we spoke with was the owner who had sold BGE, Primo & Kamado Joes. He was a great source of practical info. I am comfortable that one of these KJs will last as long as I'm gonna last, so I'm going to buy a Big Joe from him when I'm ready to buy. This is supposed to be my retirement present from my wife, and I have 1 more year before I actually retire. I am going to build a cabinet to hold the Big Joe, and figure I can start that process this Fall. I am excited.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post. I appreciate it very much.

Comment

i have several Kamado Joes. I have one Big Joe stand alone that has been sitting outside uncovered for many many years. No rust no issues. I live in Illinois and sometimes it may sit for up to two weeks between use.

Comment

Working...
            X