Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do all Big Joes have hinge and lid fitment issues?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had my BJ going on 3 years now and the only issue I have had was the springs would no longer hold the dome up, and that was last year. I emailed KJ support, they sent me a new hinge, and all is good, I never had alignment issues
    Palmdale Ca.
    Red Classic Joe -
    Black Big Joe - Red Jr Joe

Comment

One of the reasons why I decided not to get the big joe but am waiting for the new beefier hinge to come out in production.

Comment

I have had my BJ for 5 mo's and no problems with anything.

Comment

My 2012 and 2013 Big Joes are both perfectly fine. The issue people are reporting didn't crop-up until late 2014 models. It's a bad batch of hinges causing the issues.

KJ's service department will look after you if you received a unit with hinge issues. I wouldn't worry too much.
          Last edited by Steven Owen; 04-25-2016, 02:38 AM.
          Two KJ Big Joe's (One Big Joe was not enough) -1x Red Big Joe - 1 x Black Big Joe - Red Thermapen - CyberQ Wifi - Baking Steel - SpitJack Injector -Griddle Q - Maverick PT 732

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Owen View Post
            My 2012 and 2013 Big Joes are both perfectly fine. The issue people are reporting didn't crop-up until late 2014 models. It's a bad batch of hinges causing the issues.

KJ's service department will look after you if you received a unit with hinge issues. I wouldn't worry too much.
            If that's the case it would be good to have someone from KJ service department to confirm it.
            I'm very close to push the bottom for a big Joe but after reading about the hinge issues I'm not convinced.

Comment

You can contact them directly .
              http://www.kamadojoe.com/forms/customerSupport

Comment

I just purchased a Big Joe and was hoping to do some smoking... But I noticed a rather substantial leak at the back of the dome near the hinge attachment on the left side. There is also a slight "overbite" at the from of the dome. My husband and I tried loosening bands... how exactly do we "back off the spring tension"? Thanks.

Comment

Just curious as to if anyone has found a fix for this issue besides doubling up the gasket? I love the grill and how the food taste but am getting tired of working on it all the time trying to fix the issue. Thought I had it fixed but turned out I didn't. Should not have to do this on a 1600$ MSRP grill. I am almost to the point of taking it back for a refund.

Comment

Edit - I just saw the post about the new hinge design, I'll be waiting until it comes out to make the purchase. Looks great!

I was just about ready to purchase a Big Joe and I found this thread...now I'm quite concerned. I don't want to battle this issue every few months as some of these people are doing. I don't really want to go the way of BGE but I may have to.
                    Last edited by Rounder; 09-27-2016, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Anyone still having this issue? Any tips on installing new bands and hinges would be much appreciated.

Comment

I am still having an issue. No response from KJ yet.

Comment

I still have no solution for the problem, so I had to make my own solution. I took all of the spring pressure off so the dome stays closed. I built a wooden arm and counter balance with a weight. It's ridiculous really. 1500 for a grill and it won't even work properly, I'm really disappointed. I guess I should have realized that such a heavy lid was always gonna have trouble staying up. Other then the hinge it's a great grill. Also installed a fiberglass stove gasket and it was a great upgrade! Just really wish they would come up with a replacement hinge, but I don't see that happening.

Comment

Working...
                          X