Proper Care for the D&C grill grates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Care for the D&C grill grates

Hello, I bought my Joe classic last Sunday at the Costco in Louisville, Ky. It is awesome and I love it. So glad I chose KJ. This is my first ceramic grill. I have done a couple chickens (they turned out great) and hope to do pizza tonight. I have the standard grill grates that come with the D&C system. I was wondering what is the best way to care for the grates? I want to take good care of them so they last as long as possible. I would appreciate any help/tips.

Do I need to wash with soap and water between uses?
    Do I need to season them?
    Should I use a grill brush on them while they are still warm?

Thank you for the help.

I do a high heat burn off when needed . I also brush before a cook and after .
    Others will chime in with their methods

Comment

These are nice to have . Grill Grates

http://www.grillgrate.com/round-gril...kamado-grills/

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jack M View Post
          These are nice to have . Grill Grates

http://www.grillgrate.com/round-gril...kamado-grills/
          I'm not seeing the purpose of putting a second grill over the first grill - what do they
          do that justifies using them?

Comment

Instead of me explaining ,this is their explanation.

http://grillgratelounge.com/science-of-grillgrates/

Comment

I agree with Jack M. I have grill grates for all three of my KJ grills (2 classics and 1 Jr.). I use grapeseed oil, or Ghee, to lubricate burgers and steaks so they don't stick. Nice stripes and a beautiful carmalized flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack M View Post
                Instead of me explaining ,this is their explanation.

I saw that before I posted - the items they address are not issues
                with my Kamado Joe Classic. I don't have flare ups as I use the
                Heat Reflector - and the Ceramic Grill focuses heat just like a convection
                oven does - And I get great sear marks if I leave the grills in during the
                heating up period.

One benefit they claim - The Valleys Vaporizing the Drips - does sound
                useful as I put a very shallow drip pan in if i'm expecting the meat is
                going to drop too much 'juice'.

Comment

Originally posted by Papanate View Post

I saw that before I posted - the items they address are not issues
                  with my Kamado Joe Classic. I don't have flare ups as I use the
                  Heat Reflector - and the Ceramic Grill focuses heat just like a convection
                  oven does - And I get great sear marks if I leave the grills in during the
                  heating up period.

One benefit they claim - The Valleys Vaporizing the Drips - does sound
                  useful as I put a very shallow drip pan in if i'm expecting the meat is
                  going to drop too much 'juice'.

Sounds like you don't need them but I have used grillgrates for years on several of my grills. The biggest benefit for me has been the fact that they virtually eliminate hot/cold spots so that meats cook evenly.

Comment

Working...
                  X