No announcement yet.

Crack in Firebox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE - After all of your wonderful advice, I decided to keep cooking on the original firebox. I made it into early 2017 with firebox being serviceable. In February, I was on the sidelines recovering from rotator cuff surgery. In April, I'm good to go on using the KJ again per Doctor. I open the lid and the crack is much worse. I take pictures and send them in with my warranty claim. A few weeks go by and I hear nothing. Last week, I resubmit pics and claim by email.

Finally, this week they respond, but they are not going to send me a new firebox. They want me to keep cooking on it. So much for great customer service. Below is the message from Effie Skiouris.

Sent: 05/11/2017
    Subject: End User Customer Support Request

Hello Allie,

I do apologize for the delay. This item is currently out of stock. I have taken a look at your photos to review the crack. I would recommend keeping the firebox in the grill and keep grilling. Have a great day.

Thank You,
    Effie

Comment

Dude, I think that you may be misrepresenting the customer service. If you didn't hear back for two weeks, i obviously understand the frustration. When I submitted by claim last week, there is no option to include pics with the warranty claim unless you respond to the email confirmation.

Anyway, the bootm line is that they dod not say that they were not going to send you a replacement. They said they were out of stock. I received a reply at least a week ago of an order being placed. Haven't heard anything since, no shipping notice. So yeah, they are out of stock. I cooked two briskets on mine Saturday and my cracks are now full blown separations...

Comment

This doesn't make me feel too optimistic. I filed a claim yesterday. Hoping I get mine before the summer is over.

Comment

LOL.. the general fatalism of kamado owners amuses me...
          My replacement is being delivered tomorrow.

Comment

I sent a claim on May 16, on Wednesday, May 17 I recieved an email back asking me to attatch 1 pic of the issue and 1 pic of the outside of the grill to the email. I sent these pics in on Wednesday, May 17 at 10:00 AM Eastern Time and haven't heard anything since. I have a case number and the email stated that a member of the Kamado Joe team would contact me within 24-48 hours.... that was 5 days ago. I am aware a few of those days were on the weekend but according to their 24-48 hour response time promise they had time to respond a majority of the day Wednesday and all Thursday or Friday last week. I will be patient however, I am not feeling great about how this is shaking out. I picked Kamado Joe based on the rants and raves over their customer service both on the internet and local sports radio. There are plenty of options for $900-$1,100 grills out there and Kamado Joe will screw themselves with poor customer service.

Comment

Sigh... For the record, we may have to define what good customer service means at some point. Anyway, as expected, my fire box arrived today...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2416.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	40798

Comment

Originally posted by Kamado Al View Post
                Sigh... For the record, we may have to define what good customer service means at some point. Anyway, as expected, my fire box arrived today...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n40798[/ATTACH]

Did you receive the new style fire box ?

Comment

It is my understanding that the old firebox for both the Big Joe and Classic have been discontinued- Which probably accounts for the bottleneck in production. The supplier has to both produce fireboxes for the rollout of the new versions of both grills and warranty replacements at the same time. And, at 90+ pounds, these things are not cheap to ship by any means. KJ- at some point- may need to rethink having the customer pay for the shipping of the replacement part. (Let's see if that comment offends, lol)

Anyway, I now have a lovely fire ring that I have no practical use for. Hmmmm. maybe a lwan ornament or a planter???

Comment

It is my understanding that the old firebox for both the Big Joe and Classic have been discontinued- Which probably accounts for the bottleneck in production. The supplier has to both produce fireboxes for the rollout of the new versions of both grills and warranty replacements at the same time. And, at 90+ pounds, these things are not cheap to ship by any means. KJ- at some point- may need to rethink having the customer pay for the shipping of the replacement part. (Let's see if that comment offends, lol)

Anyway, I now have a lovely fire ring that I have no practical use for. Hmmmm. maybe a lwan ornament or a planter???

hey Al, what was the time frame from when you submitted your claim to when you received your new one? Thanks in advance.

Comment

I just got off the phone with them and they told me that they are back ordered and will be in stock 1-2 weeks they are catching up with all of the people that waited on the new style fire box she told me to be looking for mine no later then 3 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatfan1976 View Post

hey Al, what was the time frame from when you submitted your claim to when you received your new one? Thanks in advance.
                        About exactly what Zippets said- 3 weeks.

Comment

About exactly what Zippets said- 3 weeks.
                          Cool. Thanks man.

Comment

[QUOTE=Kamado Al;n40797]Sigh... For the record, we may have to define what good customer service means at some point. Anyway, as expected, my fire box arrived today...

Okay, please define what good customer service means.

Their email, not my email, says a member of the Kamadoe Joe team will respond to you within 24-48 hours. That was 192 hours ago. If Kamado Joe does not believe they can reply within 24-48 hours then they should remove that statement so they won't mislead customers and set false expectations. I didn't expect my new firebox to show up in 24-48 hours but I expected a representative to contact me to discuss options.
                            Last edited by SmokeySouth; 05-25-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeySouth View Post

Okay, please define what good customer service means.

Their email, not my email, says a member of the Kamadoe Joe team will respond to you within 24-48 hours. That was 192 hours ago. If Kamado Joe does not believe they can reply within 24-48 hours then they should remove that statement so they won't mislead customers and set false expectations. I didn't expect my new firebox to show up in 24-48 hours but I expected a representative to contact me to discuss options.
                              SmokeySouth, at this point, I would simply suggest that you call them. I know it will be resolved: I hope it is resolved for you soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X